frances

frances

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

When life is a storm, is there really anything we can be grateful for?

As soon as I wake up, I thank God for a new day. 

Mornings are exciting to me! A new day represents another opportunity, a new beginning, a chance to try to be better than the days before. And for that I am grateful.

Several years ago, my life was turned upside down. Pain, rejection, and disappointment made me question the value of my little ‘morning gratefulness ritual’.  ‘Is there really anything I can be grateful for?’ I asked myself daily. 

Sadness replaced the joy of my morning routines, and I wanted my joy restored! It was then I decided to intentionally and fervently find things to be thankful for amid the chaos in my life.  

No…it wasn't easy.


Finding things to be thankful for was like trying to find my way back to shore as I walked in the midst of a stormy sea with cloudy water just above my head. 

Blinded and overwhelmed, I often lifted my head high toward the sky over the murky waters to find some air. Filled with a breath of life and a new sense of direction, I’d sink my head back in 'the waters' just long enough to face the storm and keep on walking.

The murky waters. Life’s many struggles overwhelming me. All the challenges and frustrations that threatened to steal my joy. 

The storm. Tossing my emotions and destabilizing my every step. 

The air. Hope renewed, a new perspective, a promise that I was not alone, and the assurance that once the storms would pass, I would emerge stronger to see the sun shining over a new day. 

Only as I looked up to heaven to fill up with the breath of life did I find the blessings to be thankful for amid the storms of life.

To ‘look up’ is to reflect on God’s promises and love…and to intentionally seek to follow Him.  By soaking on God’s word daily and surrendering control—over and over again—I receive the blessing of God’s strength and peace.  

To meditate on his promises and faithfulness allows me to see the blessings I would otherwise miss if I were consistently focused on the ‘water’—the struggles—surrounding me. 


Whenever you feel you are ‘drowning’, look up and breathe life. Our heavenly Father has given us promises we can keep in our hearts that will sustain us through life’s infinite chaos and restore our joy. Those are things we can always be thankful for!

In the midst of the chaos of those days, I learned to ‘breathe in’ quite often! As a result, I was able to experience God’s transforming power in my life and in others through much prayer and surrender!

I continue to look up for air daily. His promises are now my life line for everyday living, and I am grateful for them!

To consider...

Do you feel you’re drowning in murky waters? Are you still holding your breath or are you ready to look up, take in some air, and find the blessings waiting for you?

Find a promise in scripture and meditate on it every day this week. Thank God for this promise, and ask Him to seal this truth in your heart.  Also find one thing to be thankful for each day. Nothing is too small! Every good thing comes from above...so as for me, I thank God for coffee every day because its good! :)

My prayer for us...

Let the words of this song encourage you to seek God in every storm…repeat them as a prayer.

And I'll praise You in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
And every tear I've cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm
(Casting Crowns - Praise You In This Storm)


Meditate on these...

These are some of the promises I hold on to, and they are for you too!

  •  I am not alone…He is always with me and before me  (Deuteronomy 31:6)
  • He’s in control and has a plan for my life that stems out of His infinite love for me  (Jeremiah 29:11)
  • I can trust in God to strengthen me, I can trust in His promises…I will wait upon the Lord (Isaiah 40:31)
  • I am blessed to belong to a spiritual family that is faithful to the call to be there for each other in love J (Romans 9-15)
  • God is working in my life!…He will use my troubles to make me into the woman he wants me to be!  (James 1:2-4)
  • This life is temporary…true life is in eternity!  (2 Corinthians 4:16-18)



1 comment:

  1. I read this often....it reminds me that even though my life was turned upside down this year that has a purpose for me! A new purpose a purpose I dont even know about yet but yet a purpose. I thank God everyday for the small storms in my life and i finally got to a point where I could be thankful for the largest storm in my life so far! Thank you for all your kind words and now for your new Blog!!

    ReplyDelete