frances

frances

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Refuse to play mind games.

I woke up this morning and was instantly overwhelmed by an inexplicable sense of sadness. It didn't make sense, but sadly, it was an old familiar feeling. You see, I struggled with anxiety and fear for many years, and today, it threatened to steal my joy once again.

Then...God whispered.


"Coincidentally", my morning devotional today started with 1 Peter 5:8-9
Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings.
Wow! It all made sense immediately! This week has been filled with God moments. Moments where I have personally seen the hand of God working through people, in people's hearts, and even through me and my husband.  The opportunities to bring Him glory have been endless! We have, and that didn't settle well with our enemy.

In the enemy's quest to find someone to devour, he remembered my weakness, and attacked me with anxious thoughts to cause insecurity and fear. Why? Because he knows that if he can defeat me there, he will keep me from doing the work God has for me to do today.

Today's verse reminded me that our minds are the battlefield, but we are promised victory as we stand firm in our faith, clothed in the armor of God.

My heart is full again, His truth set me free.


To consider...
Are you struggling today? Let me encourage you to redirect your thoughts and bring them in obedience to God (See Phil. 4:8). I'm learning to identify thoughts that create a sense of defeat, anxiousness and fear in me. When I do, I know it is the enemy whispering lies, so I find verses that speak to my specific struggle and claim God's promises on my life. I find that when I do this, and surrender my thoughts, I soon experience His peace, and my perspective is renewed. This has not been easy for me to learn, it definitely takes some practice, but my friend, it can be done....God gives us the strength!

My prayer for us...
Lord, thank you that in every struggle we can count on your promises and find peace. Thank you that your truth set us free from the attacks of the enemy. Helps us remember to stand firm in faith and with courage against the enemy's attacks. Fill our hearts with joy and peace as we discover your truth and apply them in our daily living. Guide us in your truth.  In Jesus name, Amen! 

Meditate on these...
Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings. 1 Peter 5:8-9
 For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds.We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. 2 Cor.10:3-5
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. Phil. 4:8

2 comments:

  1. Yes, Frances! I have had the same exact moments this week. In fact, just this morning and I have fought hard to resist the temptation to wallow in my own self pity. God has answered and I see the light now…literally looking at the light outside and it reminds me how He is always that light even when everything around appears dark. Bless your new space here and your writing. Your words will be used for His glory and I can’t wait to watch! Your new Compel friend…xoxo, Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Meredith! - Thanks for stopping by.
      I love the thought of looking out into the light to remember that He is the light, always there, always bright, always showing the way.
      Just this weekend I heard someone say that a light shines brighter in the darkest rooms. In my mind I pictured a candle light in a dark room. I related it to my mind. When my mind threatens to wallow in darkness, there is always the light of God, His word, His promises, His love that shines the brightest light.
      Thank you for your words of encouragement my Compel friend!
      With warmth, Frances

      Delete