frances

frances

Monday, June 9, 2014

Finding a secret place for sacred time

While it was still night, way before dawn, he got up and went out to a secluded spot and prayed. Mark 1:35 (MSG)


Mornings are exciting to me! I wake up between 4 and 4:30 on weekdays. On the weekends, I’m a little more flexible – maybe I wake up at 6. :)

I can’t help it, I go to bed at night looking forward to my morning routine. I stumble across the living room where my dogs are –already full of energy—waiting for their food. I feed them, and with sleepy eyes I fix my iced coffee with almond milk. 

The first sip, “Ahhh…I’m ready now”, wakes up my mind. It is then I remember, “I have a date!” 

With coffee in one hand, I grab my Kindle, my journal, and my Bible app. Wrapped in my favorite soft blanket, I sit in my secret place, “Good morning Lord”, I exhale, and sacred time begins.


Before dawn, I get to spend sacred time in my secret place, where God meets me full of grace. During this time, my mind is renewed as I reflect on His word. 

In the secret place, my soul finds rest as I remember His faithfulness and soak in His grace—my heart is joyful again and I am filled with strength for the day!



Every morning is different, some days God lets me speak, while others, I run out of words and it is His words I seek. 

There are days God seems far, but I know He promised to always be with me, so I press on with confidence, “I know you are here”, I pray.

Some days are “perfect”, others, I fight my distracted mind to quiet my thoughts…the “noise in the inside” threatens to silence His voice. 

Mark 1:35 reminds us that Jesus used to slip away to a quiet place where he could be alone with the Father to pray and find rest. 

We are encouraged to do the same, to find a secret place—away from our ‘crowds’—to reconnect with the Lord in prayer, to find rest and renewal for our body, our mind and our souls.

 But when you pray, go away by yourself, all alone, and shut the door behind you and pray to your Father secretly, and your Father, who knows your secrets, will reward you. Matthew 6:6


Maybe you are not a morning person…and that’s ok! I know for me, if I don’t intentionally make the time in the morning when I am most alert, I will be distracted with the business of the day and totally miss my time with the Lord.

More than just a specific time OR length of time, what’s important is to spend time with the Lord, and to make that time sacred. Think about this…God, our Father, longs and invites us to meet with Him daily, He is waiting for us. That my friend, is an amazing truth that when you meditate on it, it fills your heart and draws you with excitement to show up to your date with God.  He is ready to meet with you, will you join Him?

To consider...

Do you have a secret place and a sacred time? What can you do this week to make an appointment with the Lord? 

Maybe this week you can be intentional about finding a secret place, and schedule your time with the Lord. Take a journal with you, write down whatever is impressed in your heart.  Share your experience with me here!

My prayer for us...

Father, Thank you for inviting us to spend time with you! Thank you that you meet us in secret, that you call us to a more intimate relationship with you. What an honor and a privilege it is to spend time with you away from our “crowds”. Lord, draw us near to you, that our hearts will be opened and excited to meet with you every day. Renew our minds during this sacred time, and wrap us in your grace and love.
We love you Lord, Amen!

Meditate on these...


While it was still night, way before dawn, he got up and went out to a secluded spot and prayed. Mark 1:35 (MSG)

But when you pray, go away by yourself, all alone, and shut the door behind you and pray to your Father secretly, and your Father, who knows your secrets, will reward you. Matthew 6:6

Then Jesus said, “Let’s go off by ourselves to a quiet place and rest awhile.” He said this because there were so many people coming and going that Jesus and his apostles didn’t even have time to eat. Mark 6:31

No comments:

Post a Comment